The Podcast of Unnecessary Abstraction(s)
Ep 6: Come to the Table
Ryan and Micah bring back all former guests of the show, for one massive megazord of an episode. They speak some positive words into your life, talk about how “there are really only like five stories anyway”, delve into the origin of ties, sweatpants in public, and Slipknot, and then see just how deep the rabbit hole goes when they explore books based on movies, based on board games, based on books. (Recorded January 2013)
Read our incredibly detailed shownotes here. Topics include:
- “Emasculation, it leaves a mark” - Dave Albritton
- Flatland, the novella, the movie, the flannel board?
- The Dating Show of Unnecessary Abstraction(s)
- “This is a Disaster”, Comedy Show
- The Debate Panel of Unnecessary Abstraction(s)
- Battle of wits to the death
- Recapitulating, as in theory, theology, and musicology.
- Is it spelled capitulation or concatenation
or capitalization or caputation or decapitation?
- “I’m Stan Edward” - Ryan Hogan
- “Sometimes, you have to go there” - Dave Albritton
- Owls of Gahoul, the movie, the books, the boardgame
- Settlers of Catan
- Books based on movies based on books
- Books with records, like this one I had as a child: Stars Wars Read Along Record
- The Ultimates
- Stan’s podcast
- plus our new podcast ideas for Stan: Stan on the Line, Stalin on the Line
- The Psychopath Test
- “Everybody Loves Raylan” - the new show by Mike Royce
- “There are only like five stories” - Rob Franks
- Joseph Campbell, the monomyth, the hero of a thousand faces
- The Art of Power
- Hobbit, the animated version, and book, high-frame rate
- JR Franks, JR Frankenstein
- Ironic Irony
- It’s Finally Ironic, an overly-pedantic correction to Alanis Morissette
- The New Sincerity
- Supra-ironic gestures about mullets
- People who dress ugly to appear beautiful (Isn’t that ironic? No.)
- Coming to terms with feeling ugly
- Jonathan Coulton and John Roderick
- Name it and claim it
- The Power of Now
- Joel Osteen, speak positive words into your life
- Joel Osteen’s church
- James K Smith and his assessment of the role of architecture
- St John’s in New York is not an entertainment venue! Oh, and Sting played a concert there.
- Notre Dame
- The Hunchback of Notre Dame, written by Victor Hugo, the author of Les Mis
- Heaven’s Gate SEO
- The decrease of formality
- Ties and The Blog of Unnecessary Phallic Symbols
- Chris Gaines, Sasha Fierce, and Slipknot
- Dave cries a single tear
- Men singing together used to be the only music in the world. See also this and this and this.
- Homer Simpson as Sasquatch
- Then we kind of lose the script for a while.
- Good news ladies, Ryan has decided to lower his standards.
- Pascal’s Wager, mugging, and triangle
- Ryan’s tshirt company
- We're not going to talk about solipsism, but we are going to talk about the story of Micah’s life:
- Starting in Pawhuska, Oklahoma, Micah's primordial embrace of extropianism, and how futurism is recapitulating ancient philosophy, including gnosticism.
- Which Greek god's body do you want to have?
- Opening Pandora's Box with the Meyers Briggs.
- Doing some name-dropping
- Come as You Are
- Come to the table!!!
Ep 6: Come to the Table