Ep 42: Taryn Southern Lives in the Future
Taryn Southern teaches AI to sing, releases the first song on the blockchain, and talks about how to use VR for good.
Taryn Southern is a digital artist and filmmaker. She is co-directing a documentary about the brain, and recently unveiled her AI/human collaborative album, I AM AI. As a YouTuber, she has produced more than 1000 videos and garnered more than half a billion views online.
- Taryn's personal story:
- Growing up in Kansas
- Studying Ayahuasca among rainforest communities in Peru
- Working as an actress in LA, becoming a comedic YouTuber
- Creative pivots and losing your audience
- Hip-hop, EDM, and AI-based music
- Tools for making music with AI: (Amper, Aiva, Watson Beat, Google Magenta)
- Kevin Kelly on the tools to unlock future geniuses
- Creating a Song on the Blockchain
- Virtual Reality as Artform, VR for Healing
- Social Media & Our Story-telling Imagination
- The movie theater as meditation
- Why dystopias are killing us, and our deep, practical need for hopeful stories
- What does it mean to be human?
- Freezing your stem cells
- Why would you want to live forever?
- How to keep going, when 90% of things you try will fail
Links & Resources:
- Taryn's website
- Life Support | 360° VR Music Video Composed By AI
- BREAK FREE Breaks into Radio—get it here! (video)
The Christian Transhumanist Podcast