Ep 40: Justin Lee—Gay, Geek & Christian
Justin Lee navigates being gay & Christian, talks about Paul, the Bible, and Christian ethics, and bridges the ultimate divide: geeks vs nerds!
Justin Lee is an American author, speaker, and LGBT Christian activist known for his focus on building bridges. He is the author of "Torn: Rescuing the Gospel from the Gays-vs.-Christians Debate" and the director of a 2009 documentary, "Through My Eyes". He is the founder of the Gay Christian Network, and the current executive director of Nuance Ministries. His latest book is "Talking Across the Divide: How to Communicate with People You Disagree with and Maybe Even Change the World".
- Being Gay & Evangelical
- Side A / Side B: orientation, behavior, and why labels are important
- Trying to become straight, and the truth about Ex-Gay ministries
- The reality of intersex & why gender is more complicated than you think
- Missing the forest for the trees & Marrying the Gospel to Our Sins
- Christian ethical philosophy
- Romans 13:8-10 and Paul's ethical philosophy
- Why this is not hippy-dippy nonsense!
- "By their fruits you will know them" & Christianity's call for evidence
- Why the Law of Moses won’t work outside of the ancient desert, but Jesus’ morality would work in the Andromeda galaxy.
- Polarization, Social Media, and why we should still fellowship across big theological disagreements
- Why Christian ethics should play a bigger role in how we communicate
- Justin's book: Talking Across the Divide
- How we're being shaped in hidden ways: The Filter Bubble: How the Personalized Web Is Changing What We Read and How We Think
- Geeks, Nerds, and the differences between
- Ryan North, Creator of Dinosaur Comics & Choose Your Own Adventure Hamlet
Books & Links
The Christian Transhumanist Podcast