Ep 37: Robin Hanson & The Elephant in the Brain
Robin Hanson explores a future of robotic human uploads, helps us worry about The Great Filter, gives us strategies for living in a Simulation, and casually points out the Elephant in the Brain.
Robin Hanson is an associate professor of economics at George Mason University and a research associate of the Future of Humanity Institute of Oxford University. He is the author of The Age of Em: Work, Love and Life when Robots Rule the Earth and The Elephant in the Brain: Hidden Motives in Everyday Life, with co-author Kevin Simler.
- Is Robin a "sex redistribution professor"?
- The Elephant in the Brain
- Why do we hide our actual motives from ourselves?
- Ignorance as a strategy
- The log in the eye — Jesus' version of the elephant in the brain
- Is the "elephant" an evolutionary version of the Christian concept of a "fallen nature"?
- Does anyone believe in creationism?
- Where does religion come from?
- What will life be like when robots rule the earth?
- Why human brains will probably be with us for a very long time
- The Great Filter
- How to live in a simulation
Books & Links:
- The Elephant in the Brain: Hidden Motives in Everyday Life, with co-author Kevin Simler.
- The Age of Em: Work, Love and Life when Robots Rule the Earth
- Robin Hanson's website
- Kevin Simler's website
The Christian Transhumanist Podcast
Micah Redding & Amy Gaskin