Ep 13: Cloning Jesus with Christian Piatt
What if someone cloned Jesus, to kickstart the second coming? What if fringe religious groups USED science for a change? Christian Piatt explains his religious sci-fi thriller, and tackles thorny questions in science, faith, and progressive spirituality.
Christian Piatt is an author, speaker, musician, podcaster, and church planter. His books include the novel Blood Doctrine, a non-fiction book titled PostChristian, and the upcoming work "Not THAT kind of Christian: Loving God Without Being an A**hole". He also hosts the "Home-brewed Culture Cast", which discusses pop culture and news through the lens of progressive Christian spirituality.
- Blood Doctrine and PostChristian by Christian Piatt
- Christian Piatt's website
- What if we had a fringe religious group USE science for a change?
- The bone box of James, brother of Jesus
- 2000-year-old seed springs back to life
- Free idea: a bible-themed Jurassic park
- The pope would baptize martians
- Einstein wanted to know the mind of God
- The movie Pi and its basis in religious numerology
- The tree of the knowledge of good and evil as the original MacGuffin
- Rene Girard and the structure of desire — the gospels are full of people disappointed in Jesus because he was not the messiah they were looking for
- Our uncomfortableness with Jesus' humanity, Christopher Moore's book Lamb, and why we obsess over relics
- Using religion for the power of fear, rather than the power of faith
- Richard Rohr, Christian mystic
- How we misuse the Bible and the DSM
- You can use a brick to build a hospital, or to break someone's window
- The problems with how we approach neuro-diversity
- Deconstruction and reconstruction
- The Year of Jubilee and the apocalypse
- The end of Christian empire
- The unconscious bias towards right-handed people, and what that shows us about our culture
- Orthodoxy, orthopraxy, orthopathy
- "A childlike faith" — children ask lots of questions!
- The opposite of faith isn't doubt, it's indifference
The Christian Transhumanist Podcast